Avoid Winter Electrical Hazards
Electricians are warning the public to make electrical safety a priority as the cooler weather sets in and the electrical heating appliances come out.
Winter is a dangerous time, as increased use of heaters, electric blankets and lights leads to a rise in electrical faults. Heaters in dangerous positions and light bulbs that don’t match the wattage of their fittings are two major concerns currently.
Electrical faults are one of the main causes of house fires and can also cause serious injury. A study found that between 2002 and 2007, electrical faults from non-compliant products caused 67 deaths and 11,000 house fires.
Electrical products that have been stored for a long time can have damaged wiring or be broken by having other large items stored on top of them. Heavy use of lamps can also cause the bulbs to overheat and start fires.
To protect themselves and their family, homeowners should ensure that products such as heaters and electric blankets are inspected for faults and not be used if the wiring is damaged.